How Does Invisalign Work?
Almost everyone wants straighter and whiter teeth. But not everyone wants to go through the process of having braces to get the straighter teeth they desire. This may be especially true for adults who cannot imagine wearing braces in their daily professional lives. If this sounds like you, you should consider Invisalign. Invisalign are a removable orthodontic that are virtually invisible. If you think Invisalign may be right for you, read below to learn more about Invisalign and how the treatment approach works.
The Invisalign Treatment Process
Invisalign are removable orthodontic trays that do the same work as braces but include no metal and are custom-made for your teeth. The treatment approach works by progressively wearing a series of trays that gradually shift your teeth into place. Each tray is designed and built to slightly straighten the teeth more than the previous tray. It is common for teeth to move up to 0.25 mm per tray. Invisalign patients receive a new set of trays about every 2 weeks. No other work is required by the patient besides just wearing the trays for the majority of the day on a daily basis. For adults, the common treatment timeline is around 12 months, depending on the severity of the case.
Benefits of Invisalign
For anyone who has had Invisalign treatment, they will tell you there are so many benefits over a traditional orthodontic approach. Some of the many benefits include:
- Easy Use: Once the trays are received, they are ready to wear immediately, just pop them in and go. No other work is required.
- Comfortable: With Invisalign there are no uncomfortable metal brackets, just a flexible nearly invisible plastic. The discrete look of Invisalign makes them perfect for both adults and teens who do not want to deal with the look of braces. Further, Invisalign doesn’t rub or irritate your mouth like wires and brackets on braces can.
- No change to daily routine: When you are wearing Invisalign trays, your daily routine does not have to change. Invisalign doesn’t impact your food choices or your daily hygiene habits.
- Easy Care: Invisalign requires very little maintenance, all you do is take them out in the morning and evening to brush them as you do your natural teeth. It is also recommended you remove them when eating or drinking.
- One solution for many problems: Invisalign is not just great for slightly crooked teeth, the treatment can be used to fix a wide variety of dental problems including overcrowding, underbites, and overbites.
After Invisalign Treatment
In general, the Invisalign treatment process can take around 12 months. Once you’ve reached the smile you desired, your doctors may recommend retainers. Unfortunately, with braces or Invisalign, retainers may be necessary to help avoid teeth from shifting back into their pre-treatment position. With advances in technology it is possible to find retainers that look and feel like Invisalign. It is a good idea to have a conversation with your dentist prior to starting your treatment to feel out what your treatment timeline looks like, and what the post treatment steps will be for you.
More on Invisalign : What is the Cost of Invisalign?